Friday, May 9, 2008

OMG DID I TELL YOU?

Emmy is a vegetarian (for now)! I am so proud!!!!

The neighbors got some cows, right? Like 19. So anyway, the first day they got them we totally had a field trip of course to the neighbor's house to watch cows. Well prior to the field trip we were standing on the street watching the cows. Emmy says, "Mom, this is why I didn't eat chicken today. I don't eat meat anymore." I'm like, "really Emmy? That's great. Why?" Emmy says, "Because of these cows." I drop it b/c I'm obviously thrilled and don't want to get all excited about it- you're not supposed to do that, right? So I don't .
At grandma bo's 98th birthday party Emmy eats no ribs! She packs some stuff to take home and puts a rib in a bag. I said, "Hey, i thought you were a vegetarian." She says, "Yeah, but ribs are really good, mom." I'm pouting inside, but not too devastated since I was totally expecting this.

So the next day she takes out her bag of leftovers and she's eating the fruit and whatnot. She threw the bag w/ the rib in it away! YAY! Sweet!

We go to Denney's on Thursday. Now while she typically orders a Stars and Moon combo platter (or whatever it's called) with chicken nuggets and fried cheese, she asks if she can only have just the cheese. SWEET!

I'm so stoked. Callie is practically a vegetarian. Emmy's like a 75% vegetarian since I don't cook meat or mess with it really, except she breaks into the lunch meat every once in a while and really digs in. Callie likes her lunch meat too, but that's about it. She's more my sensitive girl, I guess. Emmy has always grasped that she's eating wilbur or a whatever, but it was no matter to her. Callie though, she's never been big on meat. I was giving up hope on my girls, though, to be quite honest, and hoping that Thomas would be my little veggie. Even though I hold out no hope that this will be long term, I do see it as a step in the realization that eating meat is disgusting and bad for you.

Now we have to work on Shad. He's given up high fructose corn syrup, partially hydrogenated oils, and enriched flour (well, for the most part). What's meat? I don't know though since he has no problem eating milk fed, caged baby cows. Sicko.

Forgot to say though that Emmy did threaten me with relinquishing her vegetarian status. She was mad at me today for something or other and she yelled "I'm going to eat meat then, mom." I told her to go ahead and that she needed to make the decision to not eat meat for herself rather than for me. So she was upset that I wasn't upset. So she went on about something else. But honestly, I didn't even bring this one on. I might feel a bit more guilty if this had come after a whole "you're eating wilbur right now" barrage of comments, but it didn't. We were just watching peaceful ugly cows eat weeds. So it was a total independent decision of hers.

2 comments:

karla b. said...

http://www.zappos.com/img/vegetarian_main.gif

Unknown said...

I'm not so sure your kids will give up shrimp...they really dig it.

1
/h:sig>