Sunday, August 9, 2009

Happy 5th Birthday, Callie Bones!

My Baby Girl is 5! I can hardly believe it. These past 5 years have flown.

5 years ago, at 5:30 in the morning, feeling both guilty and excited, I kissed my sleeping, almost-2 yr old Emmy goodbye, took a picture all big and pregnant with Shad and we headed to the hospital. I was unsure about how our lives would change, but ready to welcome our newest member. We went to the hospital to check in and I spent the day on Pitocin waiting for her.


After 7 o'clock that night, she was born. I remember the first time I saw her, I cried with joy because I was in love instantly. I was so overwhelmed with emotion and so thankful to have it. Up until this point, you see, I was worried that I wouldn't instantly be in love with this baby as I was Emmy. I couldn't fathom loving another person as much as I loved Emmy. But, looking back, I remember seeing her little face in the mirror, all squishy, with her eyes closed tight, and her features so defined, and I was in love. I cried and looked at Shad and looked back at my baby girl and haven't taken my eyes off her since.


I remember those first few days and weeks with her. Trying to figure out how it would all work. Being stressed out about everyone getting attention and everyone feeling loved. I've tried to give my all to these babies and, still, at the end of the day, it's very clear that I'm the one who "gets" the most. I am so blessed. I've often wondered what God saw/sees in me to give me such perfect little children. I've been blessed with the best gift in the world and these individuals are beyond words. They are incredible.


My Bones at 5: She is still very little, but very mighty too! She is so sweet. Tough and sweet all at the same time. She is confident, happy, and loving. She has a great sense of humor. She comes up with amazing insights on things and is very perceptive and analytical. She is a mamma's girl, sometimes a daddy's girl and a grandma's girl too. She certainly has my heart.

She likes Peanut Butter Bumpers for breakfast every morning, prefers soy milk now, likes meat (much to my dismay), and of course, still likes her sweets. She likes to play games, color, dress up, pretend, organize her Little People, and do workbooks, puzzles and game books. She loves her friends at school, is a fairly dedicated worker at school, can read and write. While she can read, she says she cannot and she refuses to unless she's confident that she can read whatever it is whoever it is wants her to read. That's the trick with Callie; Until she's ready, she isn't going to show you anything. My take is that she doesn't want to attempt and fall short, so she just doesn't do it unless she knows she can do it well. She likes to wear dresses that twirl with brightly colored socks pulled up as high as they can go (and she pulls this look off). When she grows up she wants to be either a butterfly, a dentist or a "trashman" with me (we're gonna be co-trashmans). She likes Phineas and Pherb on tv, likes pink and princesses and dancing and singing. Callie turns everything into a song. She is full of life and full of love :)

She had her party at My Gym this year and had a great time with a lot of her buddies and our family. There are some pictures from her family below. Thanks to all our family and friends who came out to make her day special. She felt like such a special girl.

She turns five today in Illinois, she's celebrated her birthday out of state every year. We will have a little party for her in the campground and all of the shooter folks who love her come and celebrate with us.


These past 5 years have flown. Our family is so much more wonderful because of Callie. She makes us laugh and think and she loves us so well. Today I thank God for blessing us with her. I can't imagine life without her.



No comments:

1
/h:sig>